Skylights are no longer only for the eccentric looking houses of the past. Lately, these window options have been growing in popularity. Not only do they serve as interesting pieces of architecture, but they offer many benefits to a homeowner. Take a look at why you should install a skylight.
Reasons to Add a Skylight
- Let There Be Light – One of the main reasons homeowners choose to install a skylight is to allow more natural light into a room. An increased amount of natural light will cut down on the reliance of artificial lighting, thus lowering energy bills. A skylight is also helpful to older individuals who can not see well.
- Natural Decor – Depending on the type of skylight you install, its architecture and design will be a unique decoration for your home. Not only will the skylight itself serve as a focal piece of the room’s ambiance, but so will the beauty of the great outdoors. The sky, the clouds, the trees, and all of their shapes and colors will now be a part of your home’s decor.
- You Can’t See Me – Opening windows to allow for natural light and ventilation is quite common. However, it exposes the inside of your home to the outside world, especially at night. With a skylight, you will be able to have a window open for fresh air and light while also maintaining your privacy.
Now that you’ve decided to jump on the skylight bandwagon, there are some things you should take into consideration. These tips should help you pick out the perfect skylight for your home.
Things to Keep in Mind
- Choose Wisely – A lot of thought must go into the location of the skylight. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west, so look to install your skylight on the north or south side of your home for maximum lighting. You’ve decided what direction you want the skylight to face, but try and keep the skylight away from the street. Depending on the house it could compromise privacy and might also make the design of the roof look abnormal.
- Proper Placement – Placing a skylight in the middle of the ceiling might not be the wisest choice. Try keeping the skylight in line with a doorway or staircase for a clean look. Be sure to also know the layout of your ceilings. You wouldn’t want to start the install and realize that there is a beam or rafter in the way.
- Size Does Matter – If you’re deciding between a few different sizes, always go for the bigger one. While the size of the skylight will look large up close, upon installation it will not appear as massive. Larger skylights will allow for more natural light which is never a bad thing, especially in windowless bathrooms.
Skylights offer many benefits to homeowners, no matter the style of house. When you do decide to add skylights in your home, be sure an expert at Preferred Exterior is installing them for you. With over 40 years of experience and professional services you can trust, any job we do will get done right the first time. For a free estimate or consultation, give us a call at (516) 354-7252.