You’re walking through your home and notice a water stain on the ceiling. Repairing and painting the ceiling may fix it for now, but it will inevitably return. In order to stop this from happening again you must find the source of the ceiling leak that is causing these stains. If you don’t have a leaky pipe, the source of the leak will be coming from the roof of your home. Taking the time to find the roof leak now will save you money in future repairs.
Inside the House
- Attic Ceiling – Make your way to the attic and take a look at the underside of your roof. Keep an eye out for holes, cracks, dark patches, and mold. If you find any of these in your roof, then you have found the weak point in your roof and the source of your leaks.
- Holes & Cracks: Easier to find during the daytime when the sun is out.
- Dark Patches: Found on moist pieces of wood that have remained wet from previous days of rain.
- Mold: Beings to spore on moist surfaces, such as nearby holes, cracks, or dark patches.
- Insulation – If the attic in your home has insulation underneath the roof then you may not find any holes or cracks, but you can still find mold. The best way to find a leak behind insulation is to look for an area where it has slightly deteriorated. Damaged insulation is a good sign that there is a roof leak present, but be sure to check on both sides of the deteriorated area.
Outside the House
- Hose It Down – If you’ve inspected your attic, but could not find the source of your ceiling leak, then it’s time to take matters into your own hands. Grab a friend, your garden hose, and a ladder. Assign one of you to stay in the attic with a flashlight while the other is on a ladder with the hose. Spray one area of the roof while the other person checks for leaking water. Do this to each part of your roof until the roof leak has been discovered.
Once you have found the roof leak you can begin the process of repairing it. If there is just a single weak point in your roof then you should install a flashing underneath the shingle. If there is more than one weak point you may want to call in a professional to handle the repair. The experts at Preferred Exterior would be happy to fix your leaky roof for you. To schedule a free estimate, give us a call at (516) 354-7252 today!