Gutter systems are an important part of your house, but are often overlooked and under maintained. Collecting rainwater and directing it away from the house is vital in avoiding roof leaks and property flooding. Clogged or broken gutters won’t be able to do this job, and will begin to harm your house. A few times per year, take the time to clean and repair your gutter system.
- Extraction – The main reason gutter systems malfunction and break is because of debris that is clogging the gutters and downspouts. Grab a ladder and go around your house, clearing away any leaves and debris. The moisture from wet debris can form into a mulch which will create blockage and eventually mold. It is best to clear your gutters out multiple times throughout the year.
- Washing – Once the gutters are emptied, you can begin to spray them down. A pressure washer will work best for removing any leftover dirt and grime. A garden hose with a spray nozzle can also get the job done. Be sure to spray into the downspouts in case there is any debris creating an unseen blockage.
- Plugging Up Holes – Walk around your home and inspect your gutter system for cracks or holes. Using a special gutter sealant, begin sealing each crack and hole. Don’t forget to check previously sealed holes to make sure that the caulking is still holding up. If it is damaged, scrape out the old sealant and apply more until the hole is filled once again.
- Securing – A surge of water during heavy rainfall can cause pieces of your gutter system to shift or disconnect. Inspect each piece and make sure that they are secured tightly with no room to wiggle. A loose gutter or downspout can ruin the flow of an entire gutter system, leading to possible flooding.
- Rusting – Older gutters will rust because they used to be made primarily out of steel. The gutters of today have switched over to aluminum, and even vinyl, to completely avoid this problem. Fixing old, rusted gutters is possible by sanding the rust off, and then painting them with a special no-rust primer.
Your home’s gutter system plays more of an important part than you’d ever think. With the job of preventing flooding, foundation shifting, and roof leaks, gutters need more credit than they receive. A properly functioning gutter system can even help extend the life of your roof. If your gutter system is broken or rusted beyond repair, allow Preferred Exterior to install a new system. To schedule a free estimate or consultation, head to our website or give us a call at (516) 354-7252 today!