Remodeling the exterior of your home can be stressful because of all the decisions you have to make. To make your decision making easier, opt for vinyl as your choice for siding material. Vinyl siding is the most popular siding choice in the U.S. for many different reasons.
Advantages of Vinyl Siding
- Mimicry – Wooden siding is very popular because of how it looks, but many people stay away because of all the flaws it possesses. Fortunately, vinyl siding can mimic the look of wood without absorbing any water or warping over time.
- Style – The most common form of vinyl siding comes in long, thin strips. However, you can choose from a variety of different shapes, like scalloped panels. This can help your house stand out among the others and give it a unique look.
- Insulation – Installing vinyl siding can actually help you save money. This material will help insulate your home, keeping warm air in during the winter, while also being able to keep cool air in during the summer. Not only does it help protect you from the outside temperatures, but also the outside noise. Vinyl siding can reduce noise by almost 50 percent.
- Sturdy – When you choose to wrap your home in vinyl siding, you’ll be protected against harsh storm conditions. This sturdy material can withstand wind speeds over 100mph, protecting your home from wind force and any debris that is flying through the air.
- Versatility – For the homeowner who wants to customize the pattern of their home’s exterior, vinyl siding is extremely versatile. It can be laid out in a variety of ways, whether it’s in a horizontal, vertical, scallop, shingle, or fish scale pattern. You can also choose from a diverse portfolio of textures. Choosing a color can sometimes be the hardest part of remodeling a house. Vinyl siding gives you the most options of any material with over 350 certified colors to choose from.
- Maintenance – Vinyl siding requires very little maintenance compared to other materials. Using soap and a garden hose, simply hose it down and wipe it clean. This siding material will maintain its color without fading, so there is no need for paint. Not only is it low maintenance, but it is also very durable. It can withstand winds of over 100 miles per hour, while also holding up in the extreme temperatures of summer and winter. Vinyl does not rot or decay because it doesn’t absorb or trap any water behind it.
- Cost – We all would like our home to look the best it can, but within an affordable price range. Luckily for us, vinyl is one of the most affordable siding options available with an average cost of around $2 per square foot. Other siding materials such as fiber-cement, stucco, wood, brick, and stone are all more expensive than vinyl. Not only is vinyl one of the most cost-effective materials available, but maintenance costs for vinyl siding are also very low. Your wallet will thank you later!
Vinyl Siding Maintenance & Tips
- No Flames – High durability is a selling point for vinyl siding, but it does have a small weakness for extreme heat. It will hold up fine on a hot summer’s day, but an open flame can damage it. Avoid placing fire pits and barbecues too close to the side of the house. Place anything with an open flame a few feet away from your home.
- Fading Away – Vinyl siding has a wide selection of colors that are resistant to naturally fading. However, any chemicals that splash onto the siding can discolor and fade the coloring of the material. The application of pesticides, insecticides, etc. around your home can discolor your home if any of it comes in contact with the siding.
- Bath Time – Over time your home will become dirty from the natural elements of mother nature. Be sure to wash your vinyl siding with soap and water every so often. This will get rid of any dirt and grime that could possibly cause mold to grow. All you need for a thorough washing is water, soap, a long-handled brush, and a free afternoon.
Vinyl siding is not only good for all of these reasons, but it’s also one of the most affordable siding options available. Whether you’re looking to remodel your home, or fix up a few sections of your current vinyl siding, let the pros at Preferred Exterior handle the job for you. To learn more, or to schedule a free estimate, give us a call at (516) 354-7252.