New York is a strange place to live because one week it will feel like spring, and the following week it will be snowing. No matter the temperature during the winter, one should always be prepared for below freezing temperatures. Knowing how to properly prepare your home for the cold weather can help you protect the house from damage.
- Seal It Off – Windows that do not properly fit their frames will have a slight gap, allowing warm air to escape from within the home. Installing weatherstripping around all windows and door frames will create a tight seal, keeping your home warm.
- Prepare the Attic – Snow that melts and refreezes towards the bottom of your roof will cause ice dams. To prevent this from happening make sure your attic is properly ventilated and insulated.
- Gutter Maintenance – Clean out your home’s gutter system to allow for proper draining of melted snow and ice. Gutters clogged with leaves, twigs, roof granules, animals, etc. can also assist with the formation of ice dams.
- Check the Weight Limits – Snow and ice can become too heavy for a roof to handle depending on the accumulation. Have your roof checked by a professional to see if the structure of the roof is sound and what the weight limits of the roof are.
- Patch All Holes – Holes and cracks in your roof can allow water to enter your home. A leaky roof can cause water damage, mold growth, and the formation of ice dams. Accumulation of snow or ice on a roof that has gaps in-between materials can also increase the risk of the structure collapsing.
Throughout the winter there are some days where the cold temperatures are unbearable. Using these tips you can keep your home warm and protected from the frigid weather conditions. For all roofing and siding repairs, make sure you contact the professionals at Preferred Exterior. To learn more, or to schedule a free estimate, give us a call at (516) 354-7252.