When it’s time to replace your roof there are a few different materials you can choose from. Some of the most popular are asphalt shingles and metal roofing. When you can’t decide which one to choose from, keep these tips in mind.
- Budget – Installing a new roof can be quite pricey, but if you’re looking to save some money then you may want to choose asphalt shingles. Metal roofing can cost more than double the price of asphalt. On the other hand, a metal roof could qualify you for a reduction in your insurance.
- Long-Term – The average life of an asphalt roof is roughly 20 years, but only if you routinely maintain it. A metal roof will more than double this lifespan by lasting more than 40 years. You will also enjoy the convenience of never having to worry about ice dams or broken shingles when you choose metal over asphalt.
- Re-roofing – If you currently have asphalt shingles and are debating on what to do with your new roof, a full replacement may not be necessary. Continuing with asphalt shingles may allow your roofer to install new shingles over your existing shingles. This will save you money on the removal of the current roof.
- Energy Savings – During the summertime, your roofing material can help determine the temperature of your house. A metal roof will reflect the sun allowing your home to stay cooler. Asphalt shingles will absorb the sun’s heat ultimately making your house warmer.
- Re-Sale – Since metal roofing is preferred in areas where it snows, during the hot summer months, and because of its longevity, it can raise the value of a house. So if you’re replacing the roof with the thought of moving within the next few years, metal could help you get some extra money.
When it comes down to it both materials are great for roofing, it just depends on your home and financial situation. When you decide that it’s time to replace your roof, contact the experts at Preferred Exterior. To learn more, or to schedule a free estimate, give us a call at (516) 354-7252.