Across the United States, asphalt is the most commonly used roofing material. This is because of its cost-effective pricing, wide variety of colors, and relatively easy installation. However, asphalt is the quickest to age and you need to be aware of when it’s time to replace your worn out roof.
- Balding – As an asphalt roof ages, bald spots will begin to appear. There is a granular surface that sits atop each shingle and it will wear out over time. Eventually, the granules will break off and will usually end up in your gutter system.
- Buckling – If your roof is uneven with waves then it’s time for an immediate repair or replacement. Any part of the roof that is buckling is allowing an easy entry point for water. Water that gets under the roof will cause rot and water damage leading to more costly repairs.
- Sagging – If the roof itself is sagging towards the center then not only will the shingles have to be replaced, but the sheathing underneath as well. Improper installation or water damage can cause the structure of the roof to sag which can then cause very dangerous living conditions.
- Curling – Shingles with curled edges can happen over time when they are exposed to excessive moisture. Once they are curled they are more prone to being torn off by high-speed winds. These shingles should be replaced and the attic ventilation should be assessed.
- Clawing – When shingles curl downwards it is called “clawing.” This process is natural and will happen when a roof becomes too old. Look to replace your roof sooner rather than later if clawing exists.
Knowing the common signs of a worn roof is important so you know exactly when it’s time to replace your roof. When your roof needs repair or replacement, contact the expert installers at Preferred Exterior. To learn more, or to schedule a free estimate, give us a call at (516) 354-7252.