Finally, the snow is gone for good and the weather is starting to warm up! Now is the perfect time to get all of your exterior spring cleaning done, while it’s not too hot out. Each year you should clean your vinyl siding and here’s a few quick tips to get you started.
Vinyl siding is the one siding material that needs minimal maintenance compared to all of the others. However, like all siding, it is susceptible to the accumulation of dirt, pollen, animal feces, and anything else that it comes into contact with. Siding can eventually start to give off a grimy and stained look so it’s best to give it a good cleaning each year.
– Large bucket
– Garden hose
– Long-handled, soft bristle brush
– Oxygen bleach or white vinegar
- For an effective cleaner that will help remove stains and a slight amount of mold, create a mixture of one part white vinegar and three parts water. This solution will also work wonders on all other surfaces around the house.
- If you would like a cleaner that packs more of a punch, pour one cup of oxygen bleach into one gallon of water. This will help rid your siding of stains without damaging your landscaping like other cleaners and detergents would.
- Pressure washers are effective at cleaning siding, but this may not be the best choice for vinyl siding. Too powerful of a washer can damage the siding or force water behind it, eventually causing mold and mildew.
- Scrub your home using the long-handled, soft-bristled brush from bottom to top. Keep the garden hose handy so you can wash the cleaning solution off as you scrub.
Spring cleaning should not be limited to the inside of your home; the outside needs just as much tender loving care! If your siding needs repair or replacement this spring, contact the expert installers at Preferred Exterior. To learn more, or to schedule a free estimate, give us a call at (516) 354-7252.