The main purpose of home exterior siding is to protect your house from weather conditions. When the siding becomes damaged it should be replaced immediately to prevent water damage and a loss of HVAC efficiency. Knowing a few handy vinyl siding tips will help you make siding repairs a breeze.
- No Upkeep – For the people who don’t have the time to perform regular maintenance on their property, vinyl siding is the perfect option. It requires no maintenance other than a quick wash and the obvious repairs to any gashes or holes.
- Extreme Measures – When looking to purchase vinyl siding materials measure the exterior of your home first. Do not deduct for windows, doors, or any other spaces on the house.
- A Short Cut – The ends of the siding material will eventually have to be placed up against the edge of the house. Rather than cutting the material so it fits perfectly, cut the siding a ¼ inch shorter. This will allow it to expand in the summertime heat without the fear of it buckling.
- Seamless – In order to hide the seams when overlapping the materials, start in the back of the house and work your way to the front. Always overlap material using the factory cut edges and only cut the material when it needs to fit at the corner of the house.
- Wiggle Room – During installation of new siding, don’t nail the siding into the house all the way. Leave around an ⅛ inch of wiggle room to allow for the material to expand in the summer and contract in the winter.
- Burgers & Dogs – Nothing beats grilling outside in the summertime — except when it damages your home. Don’t place your barbeque too close to your home because the extreme heat could warp and burn the siding.
- The Buddy System – When attempting to install a new piece of siding have a friend there to help you out. Pieces of siding are long and you’ll need someone to stand on a ladder next to you holding the other end of the siding up. Not only is this safer, but it will expedite the process of repair.
With just a few tips and tricks, you’re ready to make those siding repairs that your home needs to stay protected. When you’re looking to replace your siding or need help with a repair, contact the expert installers at Preferred Exterior. To learn more, or to schedule a free estimate, give us a call at (516) 354-7252.