Leaks are one of the main reasons why roofs have to be replaced prematurely. However, a homeowner should not wait until their roof is leaking to repair or replace it. Repairing or replacing your roof before it develops leaks is key in keeping costs down and longevity high.
Be Aware of the Signs
Your roof will warn you of impending leaks if you pay attention to the common warning signs.
- Missing, uplifted, curled, and cracked shingles will expose the underneath of the roof to the outside elements. This will increase the risk of water damage and drastically shorten the roof’s lifespan.
- Damaged flashing can also expose the roof to water damage, even if the shingles are in perfect condition. Always pay close attention to the areas around chimneys, roof intersections, skylights, etc.
- Remember to also take a look at your gutter system and the condition that it’s in. A gutter system that doesn’t properly drain rainfall can cause overflow and contribute to roof leaks.
Repair & Replacement
- Repair – Roof repairs are necessary and can last many years, but they are temporary fixes until a new roof is put into place. Some homeowners with opt for their home to be reroofed which is when an additional layer of shingles is installed over the existing roof. This will increase the lifespan and security of your current roof, but it won’t last as long as a full removal and replacement.
- Replacement – Full replacement of the roof is the best option because it will allow a fresh start. This is oftentimes necessary so that the sheathing underneath can be replaced for additional support of the roof. Go ahead with a full replacement and watch any roof warning signs disappear for a very long time (as long as it’s installed and maintained properly of course).
Replacing your roof before a slew of problems arise can be more than beneficial to your home and your wallet. When you need your roof repaired or replaced, contact the expert installers at Preferred Exterior. To learn more, or to schedule a free estimate, give us a call at (516) 354-7252.