Winter is almost here and a lot has to be done in order to properly prepare your home. One of the most important things that needs to be inspected and repaired is *drum roll* — the roof. Having a lackluster roof heading into winter can spell disaster for you and your soon to be empty wallet.
- Shingle Attendance – The easiest thing to see during a roof inspection is if there are any missing shingles. There should never be a missing shingle and any that are, should be replaced immediately. Also, look to replace any cracked, curling, or damaged shingles.
- Flashing Condition – Roof flashing is installed around chimneys, on roof edges, and along valleys and intersections. This is to prevent water from getting underneath roof shingles in vulnerable areas. Inspect the flashing and replace any that isn’t in superb condition.
- Gutter Cleanse – Your gutter system is needed to channel water from your roof, down to the ground away from your home. If the gutters are clogged with leaves and debris, water will pool, causing flooding and roof leaks. Make sure gutters and downspouts are clear at all times, especially throughout the fall.
- Gutter Additions – Gutter systems should be cleared and in good condition, but some additions can help even more. Add gutter guards to prevent too much debris from filling your gutters, lessening the amount you have to clear out. Gutter aprons should also be added to prevent water from getting underneath the shingles on the edge of the roof.
- Improved Flow – Sometimes even the best gutter systems can cause flooding around the house. Consider adding extended gutter downspouts or splash blocks to better direct the water away from your property.
The roof of your home has the intense job of protecting you and your home from the elements, so it’s up to you to keep it in working condition. When your roof and gutter system needs repair, contact the expert installers at Preferred Exterior. To learn more, or to schedule a free estimate, give us a call at (516) 354-7252.