When you move into a new home for the first time, there are a lot of things you need to evaluate. On the exterior of your home, the roof and siding should both be inspected thoroughly to evaluate its current condition and how much useful life it has left. As a new homeowner, here are a few siding problems you should keep an eye out for.
- Unwanted Space – Walk around your home and look for any cracks, gaps, or holes in the siding. Not only do these spaces make your home look old and ugly, but it can also lead to moisture getting behind the siding where mold can grow.
- Too Much Maintenance – Do you find that you’re constantly washing, scrubbing, and repairing your siding? Replacement might be needed to keep your maintenance time to a minimum. With new vinyl siding, all you need is a hose, a brush, and some soap so you can provide it with a good scrub two times per year.
- Bad Envelope – Do you feel constant drafts or are your utility bills through the roof lately? Chances are your home has an envelope that is poorly sealed. New insulation and siding can help keep warm air outside during the summer and inside during the winter.
- Rotting Away – Some siding materials will begin to rot when they become old and water damaged. In small cases, you can replace the affected area. However, if there are multiple instances of rot, a full siding replacement might be necessary and more cost-effective.
- Invest for the Future – Did you buy this new home with the hopes of flipping it or moving out once your family grows to a larger size? Adding new siding can significantly increase the resale value of your home. One of the best returns on investment — brand new vinyl siding!
As a new homeowner, there are a lot of things you need to know — like recognizing problems with your home’s exterior. When you need your siding repaired or replaced, contact the expert installers at Preferred Exterior. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, give us a call at (516) 354-7252.